Vital resources fuel artistic education and employ the people who make it possible
About the Project
Since 1989, MBT has served our community with exceptional arts education, community outreach, and inspiring performances. Dance brings us together, creates community, and allows us to experience joy as one. Right now, when social distancing is becoming a way of life, we want to be with you, we want to interact with you in our studio classrooms, in our theater, out in the community at our offsite programs. We know that your participation and involvement with MBT is what makes our programming - and this art form - so beautiful. We are incredibly grateful for the inspired messages, the notes of support, and the words of encouragement that our staff and faculty have received from community members like you these past two weeks since we had to close our studios and cancel our spring ballet performances.
In the past two weeks, these changes have occurred:
- We had to cancel performances of La Boutique Fantasque - The Magic Toyshop. While we hope to eventually reschedule, we cannot make that decision yet.
- We had to close our studios to students and families and cancel classes. We will follow MCPS's lead in reopening to students. Currently, we are closed through April 24th.
- We are facing a decision to cancel or postpone our annual Scholarship Gala & Dance Concert, MBT's largest fundraiser of the year, which raises scholarship funding to support our most vulnerable students in their pursuit of a dance education. (MBT grants over $25,000 in need-based assistance annually.) The event is scheduled for May 30th.
Here is how we are facing our closures:
- In the face of difficulties, new doors have opened to encourage interaction with our students, staff, and community. Our staff and faculty have implemented facebook live classes for students of all ages, we have recorded class videos and issued them to all of our students on vimeo, and we have moved our entire class schedule to zoom for over 500 students plus our students in classes offsite at Glen Echo Park to make certain our faculty can engage with their students in real time as much as possible. We are quickly learning about this new technology, refining our programming to fit into the technological constraints, and doing our best to keep engaging with YOU!
- As a commitment to our outstanding faculty, and acknowledging the difficulties facing many in our community during this unprecedented situation, we committed to compensating faculty for the lost class time in the initial two week closure, and we have committed to keeping our faculty employed with as close to "normal" schedules as possible moving forward, through our vimeo and zoom classes.
Until we can welcome you back to our studios and into the theater, we ask you to join us in making a gift today to support MBT. Making an early gift to this campaign on Power2Give allows the opportunity for matching funds from Montgomery County. #MBTProud #ZoomMBT
This $10,000 campaign will support:
- $5324: pay contractors who had been directly working on La Boutique Fantasque
- $1112: committed set rentals for La Boutique Fantasque
- $422: upgrades to MBT's Vimeo plan to host pre-recorded classes in all disciplines
- $398: Zoom subscription for two months to host our entire class schedule
- $2144: help to offset a fraction of payroll for faculty who had helped with costumes for La Boutique Fantasque, who had cancelled classes, and who are working quickly to move our entire class schedule to Zoom
- $600: Power2Give will charge 12% fees on your gifts, but 0% on the match, for an average of 6% or $600. (You will have an opportunity when you give to also cover the fees. Please consider this, in which case, your gift will go further to help offset our payroll for La Boutique Fantasque and faculty working to move to Zoom.)
Our biggest challenges:
- La Boutique Fantasque was ready to open on March 21st. Right away, we need to ensure we can pay contractors and fees associated with La Boutique Fantasque (lighting designer, costumes, sets, backdrops), and faculty whose classes were cancelled during the initial 2-wk closure.
- From the changes we have been forced to make to our performance season alone, MBT anticipates a significant loss of revenue. These revenues are vital in supporting programming, employing our faculty and staff, and maintaining our facilities.
- With the potential loss of our Gala, we will have fewer scholarship resources to offer in a time when we can only anticipate a greater need.
Our generous sponsors will contribute $1 for every $1 donated to this project up to $5,000 ! (pending matching fund availability)
Donate $10 or moreReceive a special shout out on MBT's Social channels.Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $25 or moreReceive a special shout out on MBT's social feeds and be recognized in MBT's donor listings in the next season's playbills and web donor lists. MBT's donor lists recognize donors at various tiers: Supporters up to $99, Friends up to $249, Contributors up to $499, Relevé Sponsors up to $999, Arabesque Sponsors up to $2499, Pirouette Sponsors up to $4999, Grand Jeté Sponsors up to $9999.Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $199 or moreunderwrite Zoom subscription for one month(2 of 2 remaining)Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $422 or moreunderwrite the upgrades to MBT's Vimeo plan to host pre-recorded classes in all disciplines(1 of 1 remaining)Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $1,000 or moreHelp with contractors who had been working directly on La Boutique Fantasque(6 of 6 remaining)Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $1,112 or moreCovers cost of committed set rentals for La Boutique Fantasque(1 of 1 remaining)Amount is fully tax-deductible
Donate $2,144 or morehelp offset fraction of payroll for faculty who had helped with costumes for La Boutique Fantasque, who had cancelled classes, and who are working quickly to move MBT's entire class schedule to zoom(1 of 1 remaining)Amount is fully tax-deductible
$2,240Match from Montgomery County MD
This campaign does not yet have any updates.